Monday, May 7, 2007

Random Musings from a Sunday Afternoon

Now, most of you will notice that this posting actually occurred on Monday, despite what the title says. However, since the observations and feelings came from Sunday, yesterday, I felt the title was still appropriate. Most of the observations I make come from church, so you may think they are not really as random as you may have thought/hoped.

I suppose I should take a minute to explain some stuff for friends who are not LDS, or just at least not familiar with the LDS church or the "unique" culture of single's wards. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (as previously mentioned the LDS Church or the "Mormons") and a big chunk of my life focuses on my religion (anyone who knows me would understand how true that statement is). It has made me who I am today, what I have accomplished, and shapes the goals I have for the future. That being said, the church is not perfect, and when I say "the church" I mean the people in the church. The Gospel of Jesus Christ proclaimed by "the Church" is perfect, the ideal organization of "the Church" is perfectly set up to bring us to Christ, but "the church" (the people in the church, the members) are still very much human and NOT perfect. For anyone who has seen previous movies, documentaries, filmstrips, etc. about the LDS Church, or known someone who was/is LDS or Mormon you know that the people of the Church make mistakes and sometimes do things a little differently. But thanks goodness the Lord has called a prophet in our latter days with 12 apostles to lead and guide the Church, and to correct us when we go off course. I am eternally grateful for that fact.

The Bishop (the congregational leader of my ward (which is the geographic boundaries for the congregation), called me as the Ward Mission Leader. Which means that I am involved with everything missionary or mission like in my ward. I served a mission, for two years in Ecuador. Now I am responsible for helping the missionaries within my ward's boundaries in the Orlando Florida area in their work. I need to get the congregation motivated and excited to tell their friends about the church, I need to go out and talk to people, I need to work side-by-side with the missionaries in teaching people, getting them ready to join the Church or in other words get baptized, and then help them stay active in the Church by getting them to make friends, learn ever more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and get them out serving and helping others. It may sound like a lot of work, but boy am I excited!!!!!!!

The take home message from my Sunday musings was that the Lord always knows exactly what is going on in our life and what we need to do. He knows how to help us with our difficulties, how to buoy us up with friends and family and with His "tender mercies." He inspires and qualifies those whom He calls, even if they are the least of His servants (as I am). In other words, I am grateful for a Lord, Savior, and Redeemer who always watches out for everyone of His flock with such tender love and care!

P.S. - That is a perfect segue into my next post which will be, after much popular demand, the reason my blog is titled such!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

WOW!!! Welcome!!! I am so excited that you have a blog!!! ONE more thing to divert my attentions throughout the day:) I am SO happy about your calling--I got called as a ward missionary this week! We should compare notes!

Ashley said...

thanks for the advice!

SISTER said...

I knew you were in Florida but I guess I didn't really put the two together - that you're in Orlando. Not that you know them or will run into them but my grandparents live in Orlando. They served a mission there several years back and loved it so much they decided to buy a place and stay there. George and Marge Romney in case you run into them. Good luck preaching the gospel in Florida!!!